Having plants at home is one of the main trends of recent times. The reasons are diverse: we stay more at home because of the pandemic, we want to feel more welcomed in our own home, we like to make the space more beautiful and it also helps to keep us more focused – only the morning minutes taking care of the plants are already calming, right?
Of course, along with that, there are also our faithful companions Pets – cats, dogs and whoever else you have next door. And then the dreaded doubt arises: but what if they eat the plants? Are you going to have complications? Depending on the plants the answer is Yes! However, the story is not as complicated as it seems, after all, not all plants are toxic to animals.
WHY DO THEY EAT THE PLANTS?
First, animals have instinct and, in general, they know what they can and cannot eat. What happens is that they can become stressed, bored and decide to explore their curious instinct and “experiment” with anything they see ahead. Some digestion problems or worms can also cause the pets to eat some plants (we explain better at the end of the text). Fact is, despite instinct, not always your toxic plants it works and there is little care.
Ultimately, just as there are many plant species in the world, the same goes for toxic or non-toxic. So we have prepared a list of the most common toxic plants for dogs and cats out there, but that doesn’t mean they’re all, okay? If you don’t have it here and still have doubts, it’s worth researching more. The fact is that there is no official list, it is just information from the ones that most commonly showed records of poisoning in pets. Some are also toxic only to dogs or cats, but most are valid for both.
- If your pet has any symptoms of intoxication, take a deep breath, take it immediately to the veterinarian and carry along a piece of the plant that was possibly ingested. This makes it easier to discover the “antidote” and avoid complications or even death in some more serious cases ?
ME-NOBODY-CAN (DIEFFENBACHIA SEGUINE)
The name itself says it all, doesn’t it? It is a very beautiful plant but extremely toxic to pets. All parts of the plant no they must be ingested and can cause intense irritation of the mucosa of the mouth, pharynx and larynx, pain, nausea, vomiting and difficulty breathing.
ANTÚRIO (ANTHURIUM SPP)
THE anthurium, which usually has red flowers but can be found in other colors, is also one of the toxic plants for dogs and cats. The symptoms are the same as with me-nobody-can and have a higher concentration of the toxic component in the yellow stems.
LILY (LILIUM SP) AND LILY OF PEACE (SPATHIPHYLLUM WALLISII)
It is a very common plant in Brazilian homes and has this name because it promises to bring peace, in addition to being super ornamental. However, all types and parts of the plant are toxic and can cause vomiting, loss of appetite, tremors, convulsions and dehydration.
AZALÉIA (RHODODENDRON SIMSII)
This is most commonly found in gardens and are not always within reach of pets, but it is also toxic. The effects are a little milder if we compare the others mentioned, after all, depending on the plant the degrees of toxicity can vary. Symptoms are digestive and nervous. Even though it is lighter, there is no risk taking it !!
MILK CUP (ZANTEDESCHIA AETHIOPICA)
The beloved glass of milk, which is very reminiscent of lily and me-nobody-can, also has toxic properties. The sap can be dangerous either when ingesting or just by having contact with the eyes of pets.
SAINT-JORGE SWORD (SANSEVIERIA TRIFASCIATA)
The sword-of-saint-jorge is one that we love to have at home, after all it is easy to care for and brings many prosperities, in addition to promoting spiritual cleansing. Ingestion of the plant by pets, however, can cause some complications from simpler to stronger ones such as seizures. It’s worth leaving far if you have a pet!
VIOLET (VIOLA ODORATA)
The flowers and leaves are beautiful, small and aroma incredible. However, they cause digestive and respiratory problems in pets if their stems and seeds are ingested. The advantage is that, because they are small, they are easy to place in suspended or higher places – which can work for dogs, but not always for those who have cats.
DOE-DA-NIGHT (CESTRUM night)
Another that exhales a wonderful smell when blooms in the summer. It is precisely when the flowers and fruits arrive that they bring the components of one of the plants toxic to dogs and cats, if ingested. The problems are more related to digestive and neurological problems. If it is large, with branches close to the ground, and pruned it is safer.
SAMAMBAIA (NEPHROLEPIS EXALTATA)
One of the most beloved of plant lovers and found in almost all Urban Jungle decorations. At ferns they are also part of the toxic plants for dogs and cats and can cause blood problems. The advantage is that they are usually suspended and more difficult to access.
ASPARGO-SAMAMBAIA (SETACEO DE ESPARAGOS)
There are several types of fern and this is one more of them. THE asparagus-fern the leaves are very thin, small and super light. But, like the other “traditional” one, it can harm pets.
BABOSA (ALOE VERA)
Who also loves skincare and natural skin and hair care will know the slug. Unfortunately, when consumed by pets they can be “a little bit” poisonous. Be careful!
It is not uncommon to receive tulips in gifts. If this happens, remember to keep them away from pets as ingestion can cause some problems in animals. They are usually diarrhea, irritation, vomiting and difficulty breathing.
THE philodendron, which is widely used as a pendant or on green walls, should also not be ingested by animals. But it is that story: put it somewhere high and with no chance of “climbing” that is all right.
ARRUDA (RUTA GRAVEOLENS)
Generally, plants that can be eaten by us are not toxic to animals. However, this is not the case with rue. If you have a vegetable garden or space for growing spices and teas, remember to create some barrier so that pets do not reach it.
ADAM’S RIB (DELICIOUS MONSTERA)
And last of that list, the Adam’s rib. It is a giant plant that adapts much better outside the home, as it grows a lot. The plant is toxic and irritating the mucous membranes of pets, in addition to itching, tongue paralysis and vomiting.
WHAT CAN I DO?
First, not all toxic plants for dogs and cats have the degree of toxicity equal – and unfortunately, this is a little difficult to measure. It depends on the size of the animal, the amount eaten and also the species of the plant. Some, like me-nobody-can, are more lethal and it’s good to not even have it at home. Others, like the fern, are more “quiet”. In any case, always research beforehand and decide what to do. You can either create an area for them where no pets enter, or choose species that don’t harm them.
Care is to create physical barriers so that pets do not reach them. If they are dogs just put them in higher places. For cats it is necessary to be pending, in addition to installing in a place where it is not possible to climb some furniture to reach.
And the most simple and effective tip: keep the animal relaxed, well fed, dewormed and hydrated will prevent him from trying to eat other things. Now, if your pet loves plants, you can also plant grasses suitable for them (found in petshops) or plant popcorn corn grass (just put some grains in a fertile land and water daily).
If you have pets, tell us here in the comments what plants you chose to have at home ?