Our fortnight flew by and here we have another post from the Café em Casa column! To celebrate our 5th post around here, I decided to bring a list of 5 utensils needed to prepare a good coffee, either in the comfort of your home or outside.
5. Precision balance
Starting at the beginning, if you are going to prepare quality coffee it is desirable to know how much coffee and how much water you are going to use. It may seem overkill, but without a scale it is not so easy to get exactly the same recipe twice. The spirited Julian Barnes says on this subject (using onions as an example): “For recipe authors, there are only three sizes of onions: ‘small’, ‘medium’ and ‘large’, whereas onions that come in shopping bags vary from the size of a spring onion to that of a curling. ” Imagine what he would say then of the soup spoons (full, almost full, half full, almost empty) used to measure the coffee. In that case, it is better to use a precision scale and that’s it.
These models of Achaea has a very beautiful design, are accurate and can be controlled by an application on your smartphone.
There is nothing to compare the smell of ground coffee in contact with hot water – except, perhaps, the smell of beans being ground. The closer the coffee is ground, the more noticeable its aromatic and flavor properties will be. Not to mention that each method of preparation requires a specific grind (thicker for the French press and finer for the espresso, for example), that’s why it is so important to have access to a grinder to prepare a good coffee.
Champion in terms of simplicity and functionality, I chose this friendly Japanese manual grinder as an example Hario.
I once saw an estimate that 98% of the coffee we drink is made up of water (I imagine the other 2% is pure happiness). In this case, it is interesting that in addition to knowing where comes water that we will use, we have some control over like she will be in contact with the coffee itself. That is why, in recent years, several models of teapots have been designed specifically to improve control over how water will be poured.
My favorite is this long neck model from Hario, but there are others that are just as good.
2. Coffee maker
A system that serves to pass the water through the coffee and prevent residues from reaching the cup is really an indispensable part of it all. Currently there are a large number of extraction methods, which go through systems with plungers, various filter holders, electric coffee makers of all types and some others that do not fit into these categories.
Since we are listing tools that can make life more practical, we needed to include the Aeropress in that selection. It was invented in 2005 and has taken over the world ever since. The reasons are many: it is a simple, easy to use, portable, cost-effective system (I bought mine for R $ 150!) And capable of producing excellent coffees.
Okay, okay. That coffee is not a utensil, there is no denying it, but this list could not end otherwise. In times of soluble, flavored, encapsulated coffees and even possible substitutes (such as roasted barley, or orzo, for those who want or need to stop drinking coffee), have contact with quality coffee beans, roasted properly and recently, it becomes an experience of irreplaceable aromas and flavors. Fresh, well-sourced and well-processed coffee is the reason that this list exists, and that is why the first place stays with it. :))
Honorable mention: Mug
But of course I have not forgotten our faithful companion at all times! In recent years, mugs have been gaining more and more space in our closets (and in our hearts) and many people treat them as collectibles. Regardless of the shape or material it is made of, almost everyone has their favorite mug. Although it is a utensil used after preparation (usually), a good mug is a mug for life and for that reason they have earned the honorable mention of that list.
And for you, what is the indispensable apparatus to prepare a tasty coffee? Take a picture of your cafe and share it on instagram with the hashtag # CaféEmCasa so we can follow what you have prepared! Oh, and don’t forget to follow us there: @arabicasimples ?
Juliano Lamur – instagram.com/arabicasimples
See you later!