It is difficult to imagine a cake or other candy that does not contain eggs in the ingredients and, therefore, allergy sufferers are left alone. But not everything is lost! There are many possible substitutions (and they are easier than you think) for everyone to have their moment of happiness at dessert time.
Egg allergies represent about 3.6% of food allergies. In general, they appear in the first years of life, but they can also appear in adults. Allergic reactions are triggered mainly by the proteins of the clear, which contains about 24 different glycoproteins.
Even so, allergy sufferers are not recommended to consume the yolk. As it is surrounded by white, it may contain some associated proteins, so the most correct treatment is to stay away from the eggs.
Photo: Petite Bake House / Completely Delicious (top)
Moisten, ferment, combine, emulsify and add color to the food. These are some of the functions that eggs play in recipes. But does allergy limit your gluttony? You can be sure not! You can – and should – indulge in the pleasure of trying a fluffy cake.
Check out how to replace the egg in the preparations according to each function it occupies in the recipes, so that you can enjoy the sweetness of life.
When eggs are used to humidify:
- 1 egg = 1⁄4 cup of banana puree. There is a residual taste of banana;
- 1 egg = 1/3 cup of apple puree. If you want something more lighter, use 1⁄4 cup of apple puree with 1 tablespoon of baking powder;
- 1 egg = 1/3 cup of pumpkin puree.
Photo: The Possible Canine
When eggs help grow a recipe:
- Replace an egg with a tablespoon of vinegar mixed with a tablespoon of baking powder;
- Replace an egg with two tablespoons of water with a tablespoon of vegetable oil and a tablespoon of baking powder.
When eggs are used to link recipes:
- Mix a tablespoon of flax seeds with three tablespoons of water to replace an egg. Let the mixture stand for 30 minutes, until it is thick. Flaxseed tastes similar to nuts and can slightly alter the taste of the final recipe;
- Mix a tablespoon of chia seeds with three tablespoons of water to replace an egg. Let the mixture stand for 30 minutes and it will have a thick consistency, similar to that of a gel.
Photo: Nature Farm
When eggs are used to leaven and bind:
- Add 1⁄4 tablespoon baking powder the recipe;
- One tablespoon of gelatin mixed with three tablespoons of warm water serve to replace an egg;
- Beat a tablespoon of agar powder in a tablespoon of water and let the mixture cool in the refrigerator. Beat it again and it will be thick and ready to be used.
Well, now… get to work! You can’t be alone, can you? Click here to check out numerous recipes for vegan desserts, which are not suitable for allergy sufferers because they do not take eggs!
About the author
My name is Rita de Cassia Paz, I am a nutritionist, born in Salvador, graduated from UNEB 18 years ago. For 13 years I have been serving children allergic to food here in Feira de Santana, Bahia. I set up a website, fanpage and YouTube channel to help, free of charge, mothers of children allergic to foods everywhere the page can reach. Society still thinks that food allergy is the freshness of a neurotic mother, but it is not.
Feliz com FA is an old dream that only in April last year I was able to start and put into practice. The name was really used to attract attention and it means to be Happy with Food Allergy. The food inclusion of these children is, for me, the right path for those whose lives are limited by the immune system.